…I could change careers. What would I be? What would I do? Although to be honest, I really enjoy being a copywriter! I like writing blogs too and, well, just enjoy writing. Full stop.
For instance, my latest job was working on transcribing some interview notes provided to me by a performance artist for her up and coming event (more on that when I have more information). She had interviewed six people asking a simple question about wealth. The responses were very different! My brief was to work from her notes that had spelling and grammatical mistakes as well as lots of gaps, or just two or three words, and transform them into readable, flowing text. Hopefully just as the individual would have actually said! That was an interesting challenge. I loved working on it, and better still Clare is delighted with the results.
Being a writer is far more than writing marketing copy or web content. I would love to write a novel – one day I will. I have yet to figure out what it would be about though! In the past I’ve written children’s stories, but never had any published.
This morning I was considering what else I could do with my life. What would I really like to do if money were no object? This is what I came up with:
- Bake bread and cakes to sell, maybe even open a little cafe.
- Open a half way home for adults with eating disorders who are ‘well’ enough not to be in hospital, but who still need a lot of support on their road to recovery.
- Join a charity organisation, such as the Red Cross, to help out communities around the world during times of crisis.
- Live in Africa somewhere working for an animal sanctuary, helping to save endangered animals.
- Simply be a lady of leisure, lunching, shopping, seeing friends and visiting different places of interest!
- But if I were a lady of leisure, my conscience would get the better of me and I’d end up helping out in the local community, charities, schools etc. Yes, liking this idea! 🙂
Back to reality though. Like everyone else, I need to earn a living! Dream on…
I posed this question on my Facebook page this morning: “If you decided on a career change and you could do anything you wanted, what would you do?” There’s been some lovely responses – do have a look! And please comment here, too.